Sunday, February 18, 2007

Movie Review: Beverly Hills Cop

Been too busy at work to think about posting much, but I need to put something up. I did watch Beverly Hills Cop over the weekend, although I hadn't intended to - it was still sitting on top of my pile from its purchase last month, and I just threw it in. (I had intended to watch Jackie Chan's The Myth; maybe next time.) This is quality early Murphy, the kind we haven't seen in a while (since about Mulan, I guess, which was his warm-up for Shrek).

Of course, Eddie rules whenever he is on scene, but I had forgotten how well Rosewood and Taggert worked as a comedy team when the action wasn't on Murphy. I wonder if that was a result of this film's genesis as a Stallone vehicle - obviously, Sly wasn't going to provide any (intentional) comedy relief. Taggert's silent takes to Rosewood's articles during their stakeout ("You eat a lot of red meat") fall right in line with those of Oliver Hardy or the Skipper.

I had also forgotten about the truck chase scene at the beginning. That could easily have been part of a Stallone film - it wasn't just a comedy bit with Murphy rolling around in the back as the semi careened along. There was some serious automotive destruction going on, the kind you don't always get to see today with CGI abounding.

All in all, a quality film. Four stars.

No comments: