Wednesday, December 12, 2007

There's Nothing Sadder Than An Aging Hipster

So, what's the first thing that comes into your mind when you think of a lexicographer?

That's right - cool.

No, not really. But I guess that's what Merriam-Webster has been shooting for recently. Last year, they attempted to jump on the Gen-Y, super-ironic, satirical bandwagon by selecting the Stephen-Colbert-coined "truthiness" as the "Word of the Year". This year, they've switched over to the l33t bandwagon by selecting "w00t" (yep, spelled with zeroes, not letters) as the "Word of the Year".

I know, I know - I can't remember the number of times I've used or heard the word "w00t" used over the past year. Oh wait - yes I can. Zero.

Hopefully, the fact that the "establishment" has now recognized the importance of l33tspeak will reduce its attractiveness - maybe it will die the quick death it deserves.

And get off my lawn!

No comments: