Thursday, February 26, 2009

More On Rivet

Just as a quick followup on my Rivet testing...

I've been seeing how well Rivet and my wireless router do on streaming video. So far, I've had no problem streaming standard definition TV shows from iTunes - they've all worked just fine, with no stuttering issues. However, I also tried ripping one of my DVDs with Handbrake, using its PS3 settings. This resulted in a 2.1 GB file (just for the main feature). But for whatever reason, streaming this file gave me consistent stuttering, enough to make it not watchable.

So, I don't know if this is a limitation in Rivet, my wireless router, or the PS3 wireless client (I haven't tried running an Ethernet cable over from my router to the PS3 - that's a longer run than I have cable for). I'm going to play around with some other Handbrake settings - there's enough to tweak in there that I'm sure I can find a good balance between video quality and "streamability".

No comments: