Saturday, January 13, 2007

Movie Review: The Illusionist

Another movie that looks good, but doesn't quite grab me. As the title character unveiled more and more supernatural tricks, I found myself wishing things were a little more mechanical - it seemed like Eisenheim was indeed capable of anything. But then the twist ending seemed to be using lots of mechanical tricks; why would he need them if he is capable of creating speaking, moving three-dimensional images that withstand close examination by a police inspector from a few feet away?

And the brief explanation of the twist ending - was Uhl supposed to be putting together flashbacks of events he wasn't present at? And did he have a flash-forward to an event that may not have occurred? That's not a twist ending - that's just twisty.

I'm not happy about how it all ended up, but the trip itself was OK until then. Can't call it a bad film, so sadly I'd have to give it another three-star rating. Maybe sometime this year, I'll see a better film or a worse film and get out of the three-star rut.

No comments: